Monday, June 11, 2018

Arriving in Phat Diem

Got up early in Hanoi, and after have another delicious breakfast of pho ga, Vinh and Binh took me to Phat Diem. We got there and were greeted by my student, Dinh. Dinh is now a deacon, and it's fun to say "Deacon Dinh" three times fast.
I made Vinh stop and take a quick selfie when we were walking to lunch.
And one with Deacon Dinh. He went to seminary in Rome, so now he can speak four languages.
Vinh is now working at the cathedral and he and Dinh were in my first English class 11 years ago. He is never without that smile.

Here is The, just back from spending time with the Focolare movement in the Philippines. He had lots of stories to tell and has more that I need to hear. And, of course, the legendary Sr. Lua, the woman who single-handedly runs everything.
After lunch, Vinh and Binh returned to Hanoi. I took a quick nap and then took a walk on the grounds. I am always amazed at how everything is so peaceful even with hundreds of pilgrims visiting.
This is a view from the far side of the pond looking back at the cathedral grounds. The clouds look harmless, but less than five minutes later there was a deluge. This is what keeps Vietnam green.