Thursday, June 7, 2018

Out on the Town in Hanoi (Part I)

 Nam and I decided to hang out in Hanoi for the day so we took Grab (Vietnam's version of Uber) to the fashionable West Lake neighborhood. The traffic at 9:30 was crazy as usual, but our driver was affable and wanted to talk. We learned that he lost his father in the bombings of Hanoi by the Americans when he was 10 and that they would huddle next to the French embassy for some bit of safety. What happens to civilians in war is unfathomable.
First stop was a small bar and sushi place. We had a great time just chatting over drinks. Being the only ones there because it was early allowed us to talk. We discussed everything from family to girls to politics.
 As usual, before we left I had to go to the men's room, and boy, was I surprised. I have never been to a loo as consciously decorated as this one. It's the first time I ever called a bathroom "warm and cozy."
Tadioto is the name of the place. We didn't stay for lunch to try the ramen or the sushi, but I'm guessing it was pretty good. We did, however have an excellent repast.
 After looking at possibly eating at the now famous Bún Chả Hương Liên (where Obama had lunch with Anthony Bourdain) but were discouraged by the massive crowds, I found a buffet tucked into the basement of an office building. For 35,000 dong each ($1.53) it was all you could eat. Of course, I was magnanimous and treated.
 The soda and water, however, were more, but I figured I'd splurge the extra dollar. The food was delicious and the place was filled with office workers. It's a place well-known by locals, and Nam said many were staring because there was a foreigner obviously out of place. How could they tell?
 Then afterwards we walked off the food for a while and stopped into the most amazing chocolate shop for an espresso. Maison Marau has the be the cleanest, most amazing place to watch chocolate being made. Here is a professional chocolatier  cutting out squares to be sculpted. It took her about six minutes just to cut six, because she measured carefully and cut perfectly.
We had our espresso while watching the chocolate being cut. I had a double and Nam a single. Oh, and the air conditioning really added to the ambiance.